Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Made From Scratch Tuesday 8/9

Time for recipe #3 from What's for Dinner?
Over the weekend, we cooked up some easy beef and noodles! The key word here is "easy"! The ingredients? French Onion soup, Cream of Mushroom soup, beef stew meat and noodles. Yep, that's it. Throw everything except the noodles into a 13x9 baking dish, cover, and bake for 2 hours. Add cooked noodles. Done. Yes, it really is THAT easy!

 However, in true Made From Scratch Tuesday fashion, I decided to make my own French Onion Soup. (It couldn't possibly be because I didn't have any french onion soup at home and I can make this soup faster than I can go to the store.)
French Onion Soup

What you'll need:
2 c thinly sliced yellow onions

2 T butter
4 c beef broth
2 T dry white wine
1 t Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper

Start by sauteing onions in butter for 8-10 minutes, or until limber and lightly golden.
 My super secret trick for perfect sauteed onions? Kitchen Bouquet's browning and seasoning sauce. All you need is about 1 teaspoon!
 Next, add in all the other ingredients and simmer.
 It only takes about 5 minutes for all the flavors to meld together into this yummy soup!
Use about 11 ounces of this soup to make easy beef and noodles above....or enjoy a bowl of homemade French Onion soup you made in less than 20 minutes! 

For the perfect french onion soup, top each bowl with french bread rounds, toasted in the oven with a bit of Swiss or Gruyere cheese on top.

Now, it's time to link up some of those great dishes you make from scratch!
Here are the rules:
1. You can link up as many posts as you'd like.
2. My only content rule is it has to be made from scratch.
3. The post you link up MUST CONTAIN A RECIPE!
4. If you want to put my button somewhere, that'd be cool. You can grab the code for the Made From Scratch Tuesday button on the top right of my sidebar.




Photobucket


5 comments:

Emily @ Recipes to Nourish said...

Thanks for hosting! I shared a nourishing Chocolate Elderberry Fudge recipe (with a dairy-free option). It's really easy to make and so yummy!

Jill said...

Hi Jenn,
I shared my GF Blueberry Sunflower Cake and an article I hope you find interesting!

Katie said...

Yum! I LOVE French Onion soup but I have never made it. Gotta try! This is my FIRST time linking up today. Homemade Guacamole it is for me.

Kim of Mo Betta said...

Both of these sound delish, especially with the homemade french onion soup! I am bookmarking this since I've been in the mood for soup...which I can't imagine why since it's been hotter than...well, you know ;)

Teri said...

I posted my Shrimp Portofino today. Your french onion soup looks wonderful. I will be making it for sure. Thanks for hosting.