Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Slow Cooker Rabbit

Continuing my underappreciated meats theme here, let me tell you about the most delicious, tender rabbit dish we had last night. My stepson helped my uncle to process some rabbits over the weekend, and his payment was a whole rabbit. These rabbits are raised on a farm, so they don't have a gamey taste, which I'm told wild rabbit does. I will admit I've never had wild rabbit, so I don't exactly have a frame of reference here, but the rabbits we get from him are very tasty!


Ingredients:

1 whole rabbit 
A few slices of bacon (I use bacon ends)
1 Onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T rosemary
2 t tarragon
salt 


I started out by breaking the rabbit down into sections so it would fit in the crock pot better. Then I tossed some bacon ends in a large pan and rendered some fat to slightly brown the rabbit in, just a couple of pieces at a time. 


After the first layer of rabbit meat, in went the seasonings (rosemary, tarragon and salt) and some carrots. 


After all the rabbit has been browned, I added a chopped onion and some garlic to the pan with the bacon and sauteed it until the onions were tender. After splashing in some white wine and reducing it by half, the whole onion/garlic/bacon mixture was poured over the rabbit. 


Six hours later, the meat was fall off the bone tender and juicy! Some egg noodles and rabbit gravy made it a perfect meal. 




No comments: