Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Made From Scratch Tuesday 4/5

After a week of a sinus infection, I was ready for something tasty and easy, but still looked impressive. And I was really craving some fresh fruit. The weather is starting to get warmer and that means fresh produce to me! I know it's not really time for local fresh produce, but no harm in getting an early start. But what to make? The husband really likes banana splits, but I wasn't in the mood for ice cream. Enter Banana Split Brownies!

You'll be amazed at how easy these are....and delicious!

Start by making the brownies...did I mention they were low fat brownies? I figured I'd need a sturdy brownie to hold up all the delicious toppings.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups brown sugar (splenda version)
4 tablespoons pumpkin puree
3/4 cup applesauce
(I doubled the recipe for the large pan)

I'm not going to go through all the directions--it's the basic mix the wet, sift together dry, mix all. Bake at 350 25-30 minutes. Let them cool for about 20 minutes. You'll want them slightly warm, but not hot to the touch. Now, for the best part. The toppings!

Spread on a 13 oz jar of marshmallow cream. The easiest way to do it is to plop on a few globs and let the gentle heat of the brownies melt it. Then spread it around so it's mostly even. While that's melting down, prepare the fruit. Cut up 2 bananas and put the slices in a bowl of lemon juice to prevent browning. Drain off lemon juice and set aside. Next, cut up strawberries. For our preparation, I put the bananas down first then drizzled with caramel sauce. Then added the berries. I bet these would be delicious with blueberries and raspberries too.

Here's the husband's plate...topped with whipped cream

What goodies have you been cooking up this week?
Here are the rules:
1. You can link up as many posts as you'd like.
2. My only content rule is it has to be made from scratch.
3. If you want to put my button somewhere, that'd be cool. You can grab the code for the Made From Scratch Tuesday button on the top right of my sidebar.







Photobucket

15 comments:

Leontien said...

soo i loved liz's cinnemon rolls and now i see your brownies and i really get hungry!

Thanks
Leontien

Miz Helen said...

Everything looks so good! Thank you for hosting and have a great week!

Katerina said...

Sorry about your infection. I am sure these brownies gave you back some of the taste and sweetness that you missed while you were sick!Thanks for hosting, I've linked up!

PinayinTexas said...

Good that you are feeling better now! You deserve that yummy Banana Split Brownies!
I'm linking up my Ground Pork in Tomato Sauce for this week! Enjoy! :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, that is one delicious brownie! Thanks for hosting!

Kim of Mo Betta said...

Low fat brownies? I'm all over it ;) Glad you're feeling better!

Jane said...

Good Morning Jen,
I love your easy dessert! I added my Ginger Hermits today. Thanks for hosting! :)

Cindy said...

I love brownies and I must say that the addition of marshmallow fluff, just seals the deal for me! Thanks for hosting abain this week!

Unknown said...

Hey Jen!

I am doing a Two Maids a Baking Linky today on my blog! You should link up your brownie dessert!! Looks yummy!!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh man these are so going to be a hit with the kids! Thanks!!

April J Harris said...

How gorgeous are these?! And low fat brownies as well - that is wonderful! I love the fruit in this lovely dessert too, and as for the caramel sauce - well, that's my favourite! Thank you for sharing these with the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop!

Anonymous said...

I hope youre ok now. thanks for hosting the party.

PERMANENT POSIES said...

That looks delicious! I think I need some banana split brownies. What a great idea! Thanks for linking up with Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits. I linked to yours too.

laxsupermom said...

Yum! That looks so tasty! Thanks for sharing and for hosting this linkup.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Sounds amazing! Thanks for linking up!

Next week (MONDAY) is an “Incredible Edible Egg Recipes” on THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS, we hope to see you agian!

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS