Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Made From Scratch Tuesday 8/16

 Time for the next recipe from What's for Dinner?

When life hands you lemons....we make lemon chicken! This recipe calls for boneless/skinless chicken, flour, salt, oil, chicken broth, chives, lemon zest, and lemon curd. Now, lemon curd isn't something I keep on hand, so I had to make my own. I used Alton Brown's recipe below:

  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 lemons, zested and juiced
  • 1 stick butter, cut into pats and chilled

Directions

Add enough water to a medium saucepan to come about 1-inch up the side. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium size metal bowl and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute. 




 Measure citrus juice and if needed, add enough cold water to reach 1/3 cup. Add juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk smooth. 


Once water reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and place bowl on top of saucepan. (Bowl should be large enough to fit on top of saucepan without touching the water.) Whisk until thickened, approximately 8 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and coats the back of a spoon. Remove promptly from heat and stir in butter a piece at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding the next. Remove to a clean container and cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Now that the curd is made, brown the chicken lightly then remove from pan.

Add lemon curd and broth to skillet and heat until hot, but not boiling.
Add chicken back to skillet and cook until almost done.

 
Next, add in lemon zest and chives and finish cooking.

 This goes great with some wild rice and fresh veggies from the garden! I'm about half way through my Gooseberry Patch recipes....and half way to our giveaway! 


Don't forget...Canning Week 2011 starts next week! Made From Scratch Tuesday will take a break next week, but we'll have a Canning linky up which includes a recipe contest. More details here

Now, it's time to link up some of those great dishes you make from scratch!
Here are the rules:
1. You can link up as many posts as you'd like.
2. My only content rule is it has to be made from scratch.
3. The post you link up MUST CONTAIN A RECIPE!
4. If you want to put my button somewhere, that'd be cool. You can grab the code for the Made From Scratch Tuesday button on the top right of my sidebar.



Photobucket

8 comments:

Jill said...

HI Jen,
I shared my instructions for dehydrated tomatoes!

Emily @ Recipes to Nourish said...

Thanks so much for hosting! I shared a Creamy Watermelon Ice Cream recipe (w/ dairy-free option) and a Watermelon Lemonade - Blended recipe (sweetened w/ raw honey). Thanks again :)

Candi said...

Yum! My momma makes a lemon curd in the microwave and it's so easy and yummy. There's always plenty leftover. I'll have to make your chicken recipe with it! Thanks for hosting!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

I never knew how to make lemon curd. Is this the kind that can be used with cakes? Love your lemony chicken. In fact, I just love lemon.
Please come share it at Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits at PermanentPosies.com.

laxsupermom said...

Your lemon chicken looks so good! Thanks for sharing and for hosting this linkup.

Katie said...

Lemon curd lesson learned! Thanks. I linked up with Momma's Shepherd's Pie. Thanks for hosting and I can't wait to check some of the other yummy recipes I see linked here!

Our Italian Kitchen said...

Thanks for hosting! I've never made lemon curd. I thought it would be super hard. This makes me want to try!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Thanks for hosting and sharing.Havent try lemon curd before.you make is easy for me.I brought my coookie