Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Crock Pot Oats

Yesterday was my first day of October Unprocessed. I was not looking forward to missing out on my cereal. One of my other favorite breakfasts is oatmeal-particularly steel cut oats. I never have time to make these in the morning, so I decided to pull out the small crock pot. I don't eat breakfast at home. I take it with me to work, so this was my chance to test out just how well my little thermos keeps foods warm. I opened these up 2 1/2 hours after I left the house and they were still steaming hot!


Ingredients

1 c steel cut oats
4 c water
1/2 c diced, frozen peaches

Combine all ingredients in small crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. Yes, it really is that easy! I did have some issues with a thick layer of oats clumping up on the bottom of the crock pot, so if anyone knows how to prevent that, please let me know! Other than of course getting up in the middle of the night to stir them! 

I'm used to adding brown sugar to my oatmeal, but I decided to skip that this time. It's an adjustment, but the sweetness of the peaches really helps. 



No comments: