Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Made From Scratch Tuesday 1/10

So according to Food Network Blog, mustard is going to be the "it" food of the year. I make my own barbecue sauce, but honestly, it never occurred to me to make mustard. Well, consider me inspired. After doing a little searching and comparing recipes, I came up with a spicy, tangy mustard based on Alton Brown's Best Mustard Ever


What you'll need:

2 teaspoons light brown sugar

  • 1 teaspoon canning salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon pickling spice
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup mustard seed

In a spice grinder, grind mustard seed and picking spice 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stopping and shaking every 30 seconds. Pour into medium glass bowl and add the rest of the dry ingredients.



Whisk in vinegar and water until well mixed. Microwave on high heat for one minute. Immediately pour into blender and blend on low for 1-2 minutes with the lid off. I know, it sounds like it could make a mess, but this really doesn't make a whole lot of mustard and you need to let the steam escape so you don't end up with mustard soup! If it's still too thin, microwave for another 30 seconds and blend again. Alton's recipe says to use an immersion blender, but I tried that and still ended up with soup. Round 2, I used the blender and it came out perfect. Pour into glass jar and store in the refrigerator for up to a month. 
I'll warn you now-this mustard is not meant to stay in the background. This mustard screams a tangy, bright flavor that's sure to bring a whole new dimension to any plain hot dog (or whatever you like mustard on)!


Now it's time to link up all of your creations!
Here are the rules:
1. You can link up as many posts as you'd like.
2. The post has to be made from scratch.
3. The post you link up MUST CONTAIN A RECIPE! 
4. If you want to put my button somewhere, that'd be cool. You can grab the code for the Made From Scratch Tuesday button on the top right of my sidebar. 


Photobucket

6 comments:

mjskit said...

Your mustard looks so much better than anything I've ever seen in a grocery store! If I liked mustard, I'd be making this tomorrow. I've linked up my ginger-garlic paste to your great hop!

Hezzi-D said...

I love that you make your own mustard, I am going to have to try making this soon! I've linked up jalapeno popper chicken this week.

Create With Joy said...

Thanks for hosting! I wanted to invite you to my 2 new parties which are launching this week: Inspire Me Monday (the perfect place to share your recipes) and Friendship Friday (the perfect place to share what's unique about you and your blog!)

If you could help me get the word out by sharing on your sidebar that would be MOST awesome!

Thanks and have a fabulous week!

Ramona
http://create-with-joy.com

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Your mustard looks so good. I do not like regular yellow mustard and I am always looking for new spicy mustard. I have to give it a try.

Thank you for hosting. I am sharing my Coca Cola Asian Beef Stir Fry today.

Jessica Nunemaker from little Indiana said...

Hey lady,

I came across your site today...but I can't find contact info. I wondered if you'd like to be a featured blogger on little Indiana!

Thanks,
Jessica Nunemaker
Social Media Cupcake/Small Town Explorer

MrsJenB said...

Oh my gosh I never, ever would have thought to make my own mustard. And I looooove mustard - the spicier and more interesting, the better.