Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fish Tacos

Fish tacos are something I've been curious about, but had never tried. So when Meijer had tilapia on sale last week, I figured this was the perfect time.

I started out by cooking the fish on the stove in the juice of one lime. At the same time, I heated the tortilla shells in another pan. Now, for the toppings!

I love lime juice on my tacos, so I sliced up one lime in addition to the juice I used to cook the fish in. For the onion, I wanted the flavor, but didn't want it to be overpowering, so I went with green onion. Instead of lettuce, I picked up some arugula. I really like the flavor of arugula and thought it would be perfect with these. Keeping with the unintentional green theme, I chopped up one avocado.

Now, to give them the taco feel, I decided to use a bit of the Philly cooking cream on the shells. I went with the Santa Fe style. Have you guys tried this stuff yet? OMG AMAZING! Love it! The first night I used it, I followed the recipe on the container, but we didn't use all of it. It had just enough spice to give the fish tacos the right flavor without taking over the fish. Here's the finished result:
Unfortunately, the husband didn't like them. That's too bad for him; I thought they rocked. I guess next time I make them he'll be eating cereal for dinner. 


Make sure to visit the fantastic blog parties on my sidebar, and of course, link up all your made from scratch recipes on my Tuesday linky-Made From Scratch Tuesday!




Photobucket
This post was also linked to
hearthandsoulgirlichef

12 comments:

Abby@AllAround said...

I love fish tacos! I have been wanting to try out a recipe of shrimp tacos with a southwest slaw mix on top. You have motivated me, I must try them soon! Where does one find this Philly cooking cream?

Leontien said...

They look interesting to me! Maybe sometime next week i'll give it a try...

Thanks
Leontien

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

Mmm...those look good, even at 9 in the morning! I may have to try this one out!

Also, I have a great Dove chocolate giveaway going on right now and would love if stopped by and entered: http://eyespydiy.blogspot.com/2011/02/dove-chocolate-discoveries-giveaway.html

~Katie @ Eye Spy DIY

L Simonson said...

Fish tacos are on of my all time favorite things to eat!!! Thanks so much for linking up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. If you have time, come by and link up to Fun w/Food Friday tomorrow too :) Have a great weekend!

Kim of Mo Betta said...

I love fish tacos!

Kristen said...

Now I am craving fish tacos! Yours look delicious!!

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Looks very healthy-I love the new Philly creams. Happy Sunday.

Leila said...

These look great and I will definetly be adding the Philly cooking cream to my list.


Hoppin on over on Sunday morning from Az. and mommy hea dadventures Sunday Blog Hop, and look forward to hopping into you again sometime soon.

Have a Hoppy Sunday and see you next week!


Leila
http://azsbsm.wordpress.com/
Meet me on Sunday

http://azfillerpack.wordpress.com/
The Bag of Business Blog Hop

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

I have yet to try a fish taco. They sound delicious though. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party. It will be open through tomorrow.
More The Merrier Monday.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

a moderate life said...

Hi jen! Fish tacos are one of my husband's favorite dinners but I am chicken to make them so he usually gets them when he is out. I see how easy it is to make as you posted in your recipe so I am going to scrunch up the courage and try it! Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! all the best, Alex

Unknown said...

I adore fish tacos! These look fantastic... I too LOVE lime juice on the tacos.

I'd love if you hopped on over to my CSN giveaway this week :)

Anonymous said...

Another total fan of fish tacos here - thanks for sharing your recipe!