Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Made From Scratch Tuesday 10/18

I figured I'd stick with the apple theme as long as they were in season and I still had fresh-picked apples around the house.  I was trying to figure something different to do with them, so I decided to make apple chips!

First, I sliced the apples on my mandolin and let them soak in a bowl filled with Sprite. The citric acid keeps them from browning, but doesn't add the strong lemon flavor you get by using lemon juice.

Then on the skillet, I heated up some simple syrup and spiced rum. I used about a cup each of water and rum and 3/4 c sugar. Cook the apples just until they start to become translucent.

Pat the excess water off and place on a foil lined cookie sheet.

I used the convection oven to help cook these faster, so it took about an hour with the oven set at 220. Once you hit the hour mark, you'll need to check them every 5 minutes or so. To see if they're done, remove one from the oven and let it cool for a couple of minutes then try to break it. If it snaps, it's done. If it bends, keep on baking! When they're done, remove from cookie sheet immediately and place on cooling rack until completely cool. Store in an airtight container.



Now, it's time to link up some of those great dishes you make from scratch!
Here are the rules:
1. You can link up as many posts as you'd like.
2. My only content rule is it has to be made from scratch.
3. The post you link up MUST CONTAIN A RECIPE!
4. If you want to put my button somewhere, that'd be cool. You can grab the code for the Made From Scratch Tuesday button on the top right of my sidebar.



Photobucket

3 comments:

Jade Cahoon said...

Thanks SO MUCH for hosting!! :)
Jade C. @ Effie's Recipe Box

Christy @ Tools for Kitchens said...

Hi, Jen. Your apple chips are a great idea and I will try them soon. I am sharing my smoked turkey kielbasa soup recipe and my roasted cauliflower recipe today. Thank you for hosting us again this week.

judee@glutenfreeA-Z said...

I love that everything in your linky is made from scratch. I linked a delicious chocolate chip pumpkin pie that is also gluten free. Thanks so much for hosting. I look forward to it each week.