Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Halloween Decorations

Well, it's been a while since I've posted regularly, but I'm trying to get back at it. Today, I let the husband do the cooking, so I thought I'd post my Halloween decorations I've been working on. I'm either getting old, turning into my mother, or both.  I've been in decorating mode this fall. Over the weekend, I made these cute, multi purpose balls. I'll explain the multi purpose later.

I've read several blogs lately that show how to make these. I finally decided I wanted to give it a try. Here's what I purchased:

Twine (my husband doesn't do things half way, so I now have enough twine to get me through the next 35 years)
Balloons
Glue 
Spray Paint
Plastic halloween thingies


I spent $11, but that will get me through multiple projects...and all of my twine needs for the rest of my life. 

To begin, I blew up a balloon, then wrapped it with twine in crisscrossing patterns making sure not to leave any large gaps. 

In a small bowl, I mixed a 4 oz bottle of cheap school glue and about 2 tablespoons of water. Using a paintbrush, I applied the glue, generously, to the entire twine covered balloon. A lot of blogs that I read had all these complicated "glues" they used. I don't have tapioca starch is my pantry, but I did happen to have several bottles of glue from all the back to school sales. I figured I'd try with the glue and water and if it worked, great! If not, then I was only out a bottle of glue, one balloon, and a very small fraction of my endless twine spool. As it turns out, one bottle of school glue works just fine. Other blogs also suggest soaking the twine in the glue before wrapping it around the balloon. If I had help, I would do it that way. However, I'm very uncoordinated and was going at this solo, so I did it my way. 

The picture below shows round 2, where I experimented added food coloring to the glue, in place of spray painting it later. I'll let you know how that works out. To let it dry, I tied a piece of fishing line to the balloon and hung it by a hanger on a clothes rack outside. **This is a VERY messy project! I suggest doing all of it outside, or cover a table with newspaper or plastic. But really, do it outside!** Notice the green puddles below the balloon...the husband is going to kill me when he sees it!


In almost all of my tries, the balloon has popped itself. If it doesn't, pop the balloon and gently remove the balloon pieces from twine. The one time it didn't pop itself, I popped it with the tip of a pin and it immediately contracted from the glue with no change in the twine shape. When it has dried completely (usually overnight), paint with desired color. 

When paint has dried, add embellishments to globe. I used plastic Halloween decorations I picked up at Walgreens. 100 pieces for 99 cents. Many of them were rings, which I hooked through a couple pieces of twine and they are staying in place just fine. 


I opted not to permanently affix the decorations because I plan to reuse them throughout the year for various holidays. I already have some plastic pieces in mind for Christmas! I will probably make new ones at Easter and hot glue some ribbon around them to look like eggs. 

As if that wasn't cute (spooky?) enough for you to run out and make your own, I also added another touch...lights!

I picked up these flameless, color changing "candles" at the dollar store too. I know the package says $5, but they were only $1!!



I guess all these crafty blogs are getting to me, because I went to the dollar store and bought things to make a wreath. This is the very first wreath I have EVER had in my house. Also my first attempt at making one. The wreath below cost $4 to make!!!! Everything came from the dollar store. I have to admit, I kind of like it. OMG~I AM MY MOTHER



I'm thinking about doing a crafty blog hop for October. Would you be interested in participating? If I do it, I'll have a crafty giveaway, with items like ribbon, glue guns, beads, etc. Thoughts?

This post was linked to some of the parties shown here

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe you could give away some twine! ;-) very cute craft. I think my girls could handle it, so I will put it on our rainy day to do list. It might have Christmas thingies on it by then, but I really want to try it with them. Thanks for the idea! OOOOH!! I could do one with just nuts and put it outside for the squirrels! Just had to throw that in there for ya! ;-)

Traci66 said...

I'm lovin' em. I am a new follower from Making Friends Monday. I hope you will come join me.
http://traci66.blogspot.com/2010/09/making-friends-monday.html

Pink Dandy Chatter said...

That is the coolest project! I am going to have to do that with my girls.

Thanks for stopping by Pink Dandy Sunday Blog Hop!
http://pinkdandychatter.blogspot.com

Design It Chic said...

Cool decorations! I am already a follower:) Visiting from Making Friends Monday!
Oh and also, today we have an amazing giveaway: 3 x Trolley Cards greeting cards complete with delivery to the recipient, so come on by to sign in and make your loved ones happy by sending them a cute card just that easy! Happy Monday!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I might have to try that.
I'm following from Mingle Mondays!Come by and visit me if you get a chance. I'm hosting Mom Friendly Meals Monday!

Angie @http://imo-fwiw.blogspot.com/2010/09/mom-friendly-meals-monday-cheesy-things.html

Debbie said...

I had to giggle about the turning into your mother comment. Same here... oh dear. And my husband would have done a stock the house with twine party too. Men... you just gotta love them.

But look at your result! I love your spooky twine balls with the Halloween doodads on them! I have been wanting to attempt a do it yourself twine ball. I love the look of them.

Great job!

Larri said...

Those are cute! Thanks for sharing. Admiring you from the blog hop. Happy Monday! :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

Let'sMakeADifference said...

I'm your newest follower! Would love for you to check out my blog and do the same!

Jessi S. said...

Now I want to make one. :/

I'm your new follower.

http://www.jessisbubble.com
@jessisbubble

Elizabeth said...

Stopping by on Making Friends Monday to say hi- already a follower.

http://bethscoupondeals.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

Hi! I'm your newest follower from the Meet Me Monday hop. I love your craft ideas! I think working on crafts is definitely a way to relax us and keep our minds content. I hope you'll stop by for a visit, and follow me back! Have a great night!

http://www.frugalinvitation.com/

Ginger said...

Ohhhh! That looks like fun with the kids...Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Kristin said...

Hey there!! Following you from MMM blog hop!

Kristin :)
Keenly Kristin

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and joining us at Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

Krista @ Craving Some Creativity said...

LOVE the halloween craft...and I have everything on hand! Definitely want to try this out!

Ginger said...

Don't forget to check out The Halloween Scene at SSB!

http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2010/09/halloween-scene-1.html

xoxo
Ginger

Moo Moo's & Tutus Party Designs said...

Thank you so much for linking up to my "Open Haunted House" linky party & sharing your creativity with us!

:) Daphne

Ginger said...

Thanks for linking up to The Halloween Scene!